And Life 2 Go

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing" - Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Wedding Day

... no, not mine. Mine was over two years ago. Today, one of my best friends is getting married. I have the honor of being the best man. I am both excited and nervous. It almost feels like I'm getting married all over again.

I went to the rehearsal last night. The bride is a fairly strict Catholic, and my best friend is a Christian Scientist. How's that for a combo? Somehow they worked things out, however, and the ceremony will be at a large Catholic church in the city. I hope the rental shoes are comfortable, because even at the rehearsal, the ceremony seems mighty long. Silly Catholics, why can't you be like us Lutherans? My ceremony lasted about 20 minutes. Walk in, trow out a few prayers, slap out a song or two, say the vows, walk out. Done! I kid, I kid...

Anyways, as the best man, I am responsible for the speech. Now, at my wedding, my best man happenend to be the person getting married today. His speech at my wedding was done from the top of his head, he even told me he didn't know what he was going to say until the mic was in front of him.

There's no way I can do that.

So, I have in front of me my 14th rewrite of the speech I am making tonight. I hope it's not lame that I am reading it from a piece of paper, but if I try to just wing it, it would most likely end up in disaster. Does anyone think it's lame reading the speech from paper? Please, do tell.

Anyways, I'm actually kind of nervous. I've never been one for public speaking. Ergo, my career in IT ;-). We'll see what happens. All I know is I have to watch the alcohol intake until after the speech. We don't want the best man to slur his way through it.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home