And Life 2 Go

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing" - Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Uncovering The Past... Sort Of

...today at work I was looking for some old documentation in my file cabinet. Tucked in between the manila folders was a Day Planner I had used in 1997.

I slowly removed the Planner and brushed off a light layer of dust on the cover. I then proceeded to look at what plans I had made 9 years ago.

It was quite a trip down memory lane. In 1997 I was single, living in a "bachelor pad" apartment in Glendale Heights, IL. Not only in this Planner did it contain all my work appointments, but I had written down all my social events as well.

I smiled as I saw in April of 1997, a week blocked out saying "FLORIDA VACATION!". Me and two other single guys made a road trip down to Florida to see an old high school friend for a week. Man, was that a crazy week.

In May of 1997 I was quite the social butterfly. I had several dinner dates during the week with girl "friends" (Yea, I was one of those.. had no problem making friends with girls, just didn't have the guts to take it to that next "level"). I can actually recall many of those dates.. where we went to eat, and even what they were wearing...

June of '97 was fairly tame, although I noticed on Saturday, June 28, 1997, I have written "U2 Concert". While the concert wasn't that great, the day itself was just a.. good day. I asked my friend Julie to go with me, and we took the train down to the city. U2 was playing at Soldier Field that night, but the Taste of Chicago was going on too, so we made a whole day of it. It was sooo nice out that day, sunny with a nice breeze coming off Lake Michigan. We walked around the food tents, listened to some live local bands, saw a few other friends. We ended up sitting at the edge of the lake, feet in the water, just watching all the yachts and boats pass by (I remember we saw Scotty Pippen in his yacht, pretty cool at the time since the Bulls were doing so good). About an hour before the concert, we put our shoes back on and strolled over to Soldier Field and watched the show.

I could go on and on of what I found in the Planner... alot of memories were stirred up. I was a 25 year old single guy, just hanging out with friends almost everyday. While I am very happy where I am at now, if I could go back to 1997 just for a little while, I would.

Would you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you mention the U2 concert. Jack and I had met earlier that summer (May, to be exact) and he and I went to that same show. I, too, remember it being an absolutely beautiful day.

I found out much later that Jack didn't want to go to that show but went because I wanted to. awwww :)

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was I that "date" back in May '97??

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home