And Life 2 Go

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing" - Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, January 05, 2006

I need me my Pinky

... over the New Year, I busted up my pinky finger pretty bad whilst playing ping pong (Oh yes, it was an intense game. I, of course, wound up victorious... except for my pinky). I was debating on taking a photo of it, next to my un-injured pinky, to show the damage caused. But I decided against it. It was really quite gross.

By Monday it had swelled up to the size of my thumb. It was fairly amusing... I was the man with three thumbs. By Tuesday, however, it had turned a creepy black and purple, and the swelling hadn't gone down. I wasn't really able to move it, so my wife dragged me to her work to do an x-ray. No broken bones.

But it made me realize how much I used this little phalange on my hand. It comes in quite useful alot of the times. Have you ever been asked, "If you could lose a pinky for a million dollars, would you do it?". Before this injury, I may have actually said, "Yes". But now, I'd give you a definite, "No".

Assuming you use the correct "typing form", try typing without using your pinky. Muy difficult, si? (Mi espanol es muy bien). Try playing the guitar without your pinky. Try itching your ear without your pinky. Try counting to 10 with your hands without your pinky. Try doing the "Hang Loose" hand gesture without your pinky.

Now, now, I know many people out there with lost fingers, even limbs, overcome these obstacles eventually. But man, it's gotta be tough. I needs me my pinkies.

At the present time, the swelling and gone down to about ring-finger size, and the purple and black has mellowed to a nice pink hue. In a few more days I think my little buddy will be back to normal.

So next time someone asks you the million dollar pinky question, I highly recommend you answer with a resounding "No". Because if given a choice, I think everyone should always choose pinky.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yano said...

A friend of mine had hurt his middle finger while playing basketball, but didn't do anything about it. It grew swollen and purple and gross, and we started calling it pen!s finger, because that's just what it looked like.

After several months of pain and mockery, he finally went to a doctor, finding out that it was broken.

Good thing yours isn't!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Joel Settecase said...

I love a good game of Ping Pong, but after reading your latest, I think I am going to have to be a little more careful. Thanks for the heads up! I like your taste in music, too--that's good stuff.

Feel free to check out my weblog; I recently wrote an article about my dog. Also, take a look at some of my older articles from the summer. Those are the favorites, it seems.

Mine is www.settecase.blogspot.com

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home